If your clients are claiming work-related expense deductions, they need to satisfy the following:
* they must have spent the money and were not reimbursed
* it must be related to their job
* they must have a record to prove it.
It's important to remember that if your client receives an allowance from their employer, it does not automatically entitle them to a deduction. They still need to show that they have spent the money and it was related to their job.
We will be paying extra attention to people whose deduction claims are higher than expected, in particular:
* car expenses claims including those for transporting bulky tools
* internet and mobile phone
Your clients can keep track of their deductions using the myDeductions tool in the ATO app. They can email you their data for inclusion in their tax returns.